Friday, February 15, 2008

Money Miss Road....


I was talking with Dre at the spot last week, and he was ranting about all kinds of stuff
....why is it that someone can buy a TV for 2500 bucks, a wall mount for 300 and say $100 is too much for the installation when I charge them?
Are you asking for my opinion on the issue or you want the answer to your question?
I want the answer!
Service is not a product.
What?
Service is not a product.
I don’t follow
You see a TV is a TV and the wall mount is that, but the installation, no one consumer can quantify the value. They can qualify it but sure cant put the right dollar sign to it.
That was a little too technical… break it down
Most people can tell the difference between a good and bad job but can’t tell you the price difference. The best you’ll get is “im not paying for that (bad workmanship)”
I see… so whats ‘your’ opinion?
Im thinking if my TV had cost 1250 dollars and the wall mount 150 bucks, you’d charge me $50. my thought process tells me that you are assigning value based on the price of the items, but since the work of putting up a $2000 or $1000 TV is about the same, id offer you 60 bucks and call it a fair deal.
....
.....What the fuck?
That’s the logic that would be behind my offer!
But you can’t screw with a mans’ livelihood in the name of bargaining!
Why not? It’s a dog eat dog world dude, you shouldn’t fight back, capitalism doesn't like that. Instead, adapt
How?
Here’s a suggestion.... Charge by the hour, that way my thought process earlier would not apply since the price of the TV would not matter.... Like movers who end up spending the whole day getting that piano through the tiny kitchen door when they know it’ll fit easily through the front door
You make sense there.... But people would wise up to that real quick.
Of course, they aren’t stupid…. It simply destroys my theory but introduces a new problem. Again, you have to adapt
How?
Holy fuck im not a freaking genie I don’t know, it’s a changing marketplace, you gotta find what works and build on it. Theres a reason people don’t haggle when they are in Futureshop, but put them in the flea market and its back and forth yapping. You have to find the difference and apply it to your business.
All your big talk still doesn't solve anything
Of course it doesn't, you asked why people think you are overcharging. I told you why.
That’s a technicality…. You know what I mean
Yes… but if you want an improved business strategy, id have to charge you
For what?
Consultation fees
That’s bullshit
Exactly!
I don’t get it.
You see I mention fees to do some thinking for you and you call BS before I even mention a price. That is the problem you're facing.
C’mon youre a smart guy, give me something
Have you had a customer referral to do the same job?
Oh yes... I get lots of those, my work speaks for itself
Im willing to bet you didn’t get much drama when it came to your fees
Yeah... Those are good customers
No. That’s because the person has seen the finished product and the bill before spending a dollar, just like the TV on the shelf, its eaiser to shell out cash than if the TV was sitting in a box with no labels, just a price tag.
So you are saying I should get them to visualize the TV on the wall before I install it.
At least youre thinking.... a few more like that and you’ll have something to work with.

So what’s worth what?

3 comments:

Chris Ogunlowo said...

Very enjoyable post.
I really want to take my time before giving my retort.

Hi!

Cheers.

Mamarita said...

Dude! Thats crazy, true but crazy. Ever thought of working in strategic management, I don't guarantee that you won't get death threats but you would do great :)

Mamarita said...

I'm tagging you, see my blog.